For the 2023 season U9 birth years are 2015 and 2016
The U9 program follows the guidelines as set forth by the Canadian Lacrosse Association Long Term Athlete Development Plan.
The format for U9 will be (Please consult ALA Regulation 15.16 for full 8U rules):
- U9 sessions are 1 hour
- U9 games are 1 hour floor time - 3 - 12 min run time periods
- play full floor
- play 5 on 5 (with goalie)
- 3 x 3 nets
- referees on floor to call penalties and explain violations; players who repeatedly commit rule violations will be sent off the floor
- 3 minute shifts
- Contact rule is Place and Push.
- The fall back rule applies when the goaltender is in possession of the ball. All defensive players must enter the neutral zone where they must wait until the ball crosses the restraining line. The goalie must pass the ball to one of the offensive players who must be at least 9 feet from the crease.
- After each goal and the end of each shift, play shall start with the goalkeeper of the team that was scored on or was in possession of the ball at the end of the shift and the defensive players shall fall back to their zone.
- U9 have two floor times per week - one weekday early evening (Tues or Wed) and Saturdays
- The U9 season runs until end of June and ends with a city-wide festival with play against other clubs.
- U9 requires full gear.
Throughout the season, in order to encourage development, there will be no standings for U9.
Registration opens on January 1st, 2023
For more information, please contact the U9 coordinator, Kim Dunsmore at U9@sabrecatslax.com